Every day, I see many pets ranging from the geriatric pets, to sick pets, injured pets, and even puppies; and at least twice a day, I am asked by my clients about supplements for their pets. I am happy to help my clients to make the best decisions for their pets and over the years I have educated countless clients that all supplements are not considered medications. I let my clients know that the supplements that they purchase are more herbal ingredients than medications. Yet, there are some benefits to supplements, but not at the level that people are led to believe.
All supplements are not necessarily healthy for your pet because they are not controlled, tested, or even regulated by the FDA and/or the USDA. Since either the FDA or the USDA do not regulate the supplement manufacturing industry, these companies can make claims that their supplements can make your pet feel better.
As for your pet, you should consult your veterinarian because they have the knowledge and understanding of which supplements can benefit your pet. Depending on what is ailing your pet, your veterinarian can suggest which supplements could be used for the following issues:
- For digestive issues, we usually recommend a probiotic/prebiotic and/or vitamin.
- For hip and joint problems, Glucosamines, MSM, Omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon fish oils, and Turmeric (anti-inflammatory). There are numerous other supplements on the market, and you should ask your vet. We recommend that our clients stick with a proven company such as Vetri-science for supplements.
- Pet’s with skin and coat issues, Omega-3 fatty acids (Salmon fish oil) works the best.
- If you want to boost your pet’s immune system, Boswellia has shown benefits.
- Finally, for behavior issues, we recommend Composure Pro, Adaptil (Pheromones), Zylkene, and melatonin.
If you are wanting to try any supplement, please consult your veterinarian to make sure that it is the right product for your pet.
Share This Post
About Dyer Animal Clinic
We are a place where pets and their people can feel at home. It's a place where wellness is maintained and supported from the time they’re newborns through their golden years.